The Power of Self-Touch
When I first met my husband back in college, he used to press his palms down into the top of my head. He told me that he heard somewhere that it calms the body, as the feeling of pressure reminds the person of the time when they were in their mother’s womb.
I had never heard this before. All I knew was that whenever he did this, there was a deep, soothing feeling that spread from my nervous system all the way down to my toes.
I started doing this to myself after some time, and realized that the feeling was just as calming. And knowing that I could do this, that I could rely upon this simple form of self-touch to bring myself a bit of calm, was a powerful realization for me.
Self-touch is medicine.
Placing your hands on your body is a powerful act. It’s an expression of self-love, a way of telling yourself that you matter.
Self-touch is even rebellion. In its sheer simplicity, there is a wildness. A knowing. A delicate confidence in the self’s ability to heal, transform, and find balance.
Self-touch calls your power back to you. It brushes off the need for validation from voices that are not your own. It recognizes the body as holy. It alchemizes the magic of what you are and brings it into this one moment.
Through self-touch, you have the ability to balance your being, boost your energy, strengthen your immune system, and ease anxiety and stress in your life.
When you devote time and energy into touching your body each day, you are carving out the time to nurture a deeper relationship to yourself. You are taking your health and wellbeing into your own hands (literally).
Here are some simple ways to touch yourself and enhance your life every day:
- Take a deep inhale through the nose and wrap your arms around yourself, giving yourself a big hug. As you exhale through the mouth, feel your body melting into this hug. Do this several times.
- Take both your palms and press them into the top of your head with a nice firm pressure. Hold here and breathe for one minute.
- Place your hands over your heart. As you inhale, feel your heart opening and expanding. As you exhale, feel your body melting and relaxing.
- Take some time to do some self-massage at the start of your day, or whenever you need a boost. Massage your shoulders, upper back, arms, and chest. Remember to stay connected to your breath as you do it.
- Rub your palms together for 10 seconds to create energy. Then place your palms over your face. Sit here like this and breathe for a minute. Feel the warmth and vibration from your hands moving into your face.
- Do an “energy sweep” every day. Take your hands and lightly brush them down your body. Imagine you are wiping away any stuck or negative energies.
Use this self-touch arsenal to heal, cleanse, balance, and energize yourself. Try to do at least one of these every day so that you can come back home to your body and feel the fullness of your sacred nature.